Mr. Kirti Moholkar Consultant Orthopedic Knee & Shoulder Surgeon
MS MCh FRCS
Specialist in treatment of knee and shoulder sports injury
degenerative conditions and arthritis:
- Cartilage regeneration technique including cartilage and cell transplantation.
- Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.
- Cartilage and meniscal surgery including repair
- Computer assisted total knee replacement
- Computer assisted unicompartmental knee replacement (half knee).
- Patellofemoral joint replacement (knee cap)
- Shoulder surgery including keyhole operation.
- Rotator cuff repair (tendon tears).
- Impingement surgery.
- Shoulder instability surgery.
- Joint replacements for arthritic conditions.
Mr. Kirti Moholkar trained on the North Western and West Midlands specialist registrar training programme and was appointed consultant orthopaedic surgeon at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital in 2004. His main interests are sports related knee and shoulder injuries and treatment of related arthritic conditions.
His orthopaedic training includes clinical work in India, Australia, Southern Ireland, USA and the United Kingdom. He joined the Knee Clinic in 2005.
In 1997 he spent twelve months in Adelaide, Australia at the Flinders Medical Centre where he had an opportunity to learn knee arthroscopic and arthroplasty surgery. In the year 2000 his general experience included work with trauma knee surgery. He completed his training and then spent the last part of his training at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital Knee and Shoulder Unit before being appointed a consultant in the same year at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital in Birmingham.
His NHS commitments includes work at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital where he undertakes around 400 operations a year and sees around 1600 patients in the Outpatients’ Department. He works part-time at the BMI Priory and Edgbaston Hospital in Birmingham and the BMI Droitwich Spa Hospital in Droitwich.
He joined the Droitwich Knee Clinic in 2005 where he undertakes similar procedures. His specialist interest lies in patient specific guides for use in knee replacement surgery on which he has presented quite extensively nationally and internationally. He has a keen interest in clinical research and has a number of publications in national and international journals and has presented his research at conferences in Ireland, India, United States, Australia, United Kingdom, Amsterdam, Belgium and Paris.
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Bristol Road, Birmingham, B31 2AA.
- Clinical Outcomes Lead, Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham.
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Bromsgrove Knee Clinic, 27 New Road, Bromsgrove, B60 2JL.
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Droitwich Knee Clinic, 27 New Road, Bromsgrove, B60 2JL.
- Clinical Director, Arthroscopy Department, Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Bristol Road, Birmingham, B31 2AA.
- Managing Director, Droitwich Knee Clinic Until January 2016.
- Knee Arthroscopic Surgery (Meniscal trimming, ACL Reconstruction, Cartilage Defects)
- Shoulder Arthroscopic surgery (Sub acromial decompressions, Cuff repairs, AC Joint resections)
- Patello-Femoral disorders and Anterior Knee pain
- Medial Pivot Knee Replacement
- Knee replacements with Enhanced recovery protocols
- Knee Replacement with ligament balancing
- GMC Registration 5192081
- Last Appraisal, June 2016
- Next Appraisal, June 2017
Past Posts Held
- Droitwich Knee Clinic MAC representative, BMI Droitwich Spa Hospital, 2009 -2012.
- Orthopaedic Member, British Computer Assisted Orthopaedic Society,
- Committee Member, British Indian Orthopaedic Association, 2010.
Current Practice Addresses
- Bromsgrove Knee Clinic @Bromsgrove Private Clinic, 27 New Road, Bromsgrove, B60 2JL
- Droitwich Knee Clinic @ Bromsgrove Private Clinic, 27 New Road, Bromsgrove, B60 2JL
- BMI Priory Hospital, Birmingham.
- BMI Edgbaston Hospital, Birmingham.
- BMI Droitwich Spa Hospital.
- Bromsgrove Knee Clinic @ Wolverhampton.
- Bromsgrove Knee Clinic@ Sutton Coldfield.
All clinics booked by calling 0800 8 250 250
- Email email@example.com
- Personal Assistant- 0800 8 250 250
- Clinic Manager Davies@bromsgrovekneeclinic.com
- MS (Orthopaedics)
- Diploma Sports Medicine
- Diploma Orthopaedics
- Diplomate National board Orthopaedics
- Fellowship of College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Intercollegiate Fellowship Orthopaedics
- Completion of certificate of Speciaist Training, UK
- Sports Medicine Fellowship, Flinders Medical Centre, Australia, January-June 1997.
- Joint Replacement Fellowship, Repatriation Medical Centre, Adelaide, Australia, July-December 1997.
- Sports and AO Fellowship, Denver, Colorado, 2000.
- Knee and Shoulder Fellowship, Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham, 2003.
Training Posts Held
- Orthopaedics Senior House officer and Senior Registrar training, Mumbai, 1991-1995
- Specialist Registrar training, Dublin, Ireland, 1995- 2001
- Specialist Registrar training, North west deanery, until 2002
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Association of Knee surgery
- Computer Assisted Orthopaedic Society
Past Professional Memberships
- SICOT Membership
Training Courses Completed
- Oxford Uni-compartmental Knee Replacement course, Oxford, 5-6 July 2004
- Shoulder Arthroscopy course, London, 23-24 April 2004.
- Newcastle Knee Injuries course, 13-14, May 2004.
- International Shoulder course, Austria, 2-5 June, 2004.
- The Knee Arthroplasty, Summer University, Edinburgh September 2003.
- The Hip Arthroplasty, The Mariott, Worsley, Manchester, October 2003.
- The Hand Surgery course- Wrightington, Sept-
- Basic Sciences in Orthopaedics, Bristol, June-
- Paediatric Orthopaedic course, Dublin, October 2002.
- Current controversies in trauma, Dublin, October 2001.
- Bone Graft Substitutes in trauma, Aspen, Colorado, May 2001.
- Debates about Hip Replacement, Bristol, Nov 2001.
- AAOS, San Francisco, Feb 2001.
- Musculoskeletal MRI Symposium, Dublin, March 2000.
- ATLS, Dublin, May-1999 (Reverified Sept 2003)
- Shoulder Arthroscopy, Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin, October 1998.
- Basic AO, Leeds, June-
- Knee Arthroscopy, Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin, October-
- Radiation Protection, Dublin-
- Basic Arthroscopic techniques, Bombay, 1994.
- 15-17.05.2016 The Forgotten Joint Replacement, Vienna, Austria (3 Invited Lectures)
- 18-19.05.2016. Midlands Current Concepts in Knee Surgery: Annual International Meeting: Worcester Warriors: Course convener and Faculty
- 02.2016. Superpath Masterclass, Knee replacement techniques, Ghent. (Invited)
- 5.2015 Midlands Current Concepts in Knee Surgery: Annual International Meeting: Worcester Warriors: Course convener and Faculty
- 21, 22.5.2014 Midlands Current Concepts in Knee Surgery: Annual International Meeting: Worcester Warriors: Course convener and Faculty
- 5.12 Midlands Current Concepts in Knee Surgery: Annual International Meeting: Worcester Warriors: Course convener and Faculty
- 16/10/2015 Advanced Knee Arthroplasty Course, Glasgow. (2 Invited lectures)
- 2, 3.10.2013 BOA (British Orthopaedic Association) annual meeting, Birmingham
- 6.2012 The Great Debate: Imperial College London
- 27 Apr 05 Hosting and case presentations Midland Problem Knee Club meeting, Droitwich Knee Foundation
- 10 – 11 Feb 06 British Society for Computer Assisted Surgery meeting: London
- 7 Oct 05 The complete Knee for physios: invited lecturer: Knee Foundation. Lecture: Interpretation of XRs & MRIs
- 9.2015 Knee Lecturing: Physio & GP Education Evening, DKC
- 07.2015. Knee Medial Pivot knee meeting, Hyatt Regency, Birmingham
- 9.2014 Knee Foundation Physio & GP Educational program:Lecture: Anterior knee pain
- 8.2014 Shoulder Rotator cuff: DKC Physio & GP Educational program
- 6.2014 Knee Physio & GP Education Evening, Droitwich Knee Clinic
- 6.2014 Physio & GP Education Evening, Droitwich Knee Clinic
- 1.2014 MKnee idland Problem Knee Club Meeting: case presented
- 11.2013 Physio & GP Education Evening, Droitwich Knee Clinic
- 5.2013 Knee Lecturing: Physio & GP Education Evening, DKC
- 2.2013 Knee Lecturing: Physio & GP Education Evening, Droitwich Knee Clinic
- 11.2012 Knee Lecturing: Physio & GP Education Evening, Droitwich Knee Clinic KC
- 9.2012 Knee Lecturing: Physio & GP Education Evening, DKC
- 7.2012 Knee Lecturing: Physio & GP Education Evening, Droitwich Knee Clinic
- 11.11 Cartilage Repair for Physios: DKC
- 9.11 Knee instability for Physios: DKC
- 07.2011 Limb Reconstruction: Knee Joint preservation. Patient Information Evening: Knee Foundation: hosted at Droitwich Knee Clinic
- 05.2011 Acute Knee for Physios, hosted @ Droitwich Knee Clinic
- 3.12 Acute Knee: Rationalisation of investigation and referrals
- 7.2012 Lecturing: Knee Physio & GP Education Evening, DKC
- 9.2012 Lecturing: Knee Physio & GP Education Evening, DKC
- 10.2012 Lecturing: PG training ROH: Osteotomies around the knee
- 11.2012 Lecturing: Knee Physio & GP Education Evening, DKC
- 2.2013 Lecturing: Physio & Knee GP Education Evening, DKC
- 5.2013 Lecturing: Physio & GP Education Evening, DKC
- 11.2013 Physio & GP Education Evening, DKC
- 05.2010 The Sporting Knee for Physiotherapists, Knee Foundation, Droitwich
- 02.2009 20th Anniversary Droitwich Knee Clinic Meeting: lecturing
- 09.2009 Contribution at Midland Problem Knee Club Meeting hosted at Droitwich Knee Clinic
- 05.2008 Droitwich Knee Clinic, Knee Foundation Arthroscopy Course: lecturing and workshop
- 22 – 23.02.07 ‘ The Knee All You Need to Know’ lecturing at course for Physiotherapists, Knee Foundation, Droitwich Knee Clinic.
- 11.07 Knee Foundation Acute Knee Course
- 09.07 Knee Foundation Basic Knee Arthroscopy Workshop
- 06.07 Knee Foundation Knee ACL Study Day
- 03.07 Knee Foundation Basic Knee Arthroscopy Workshop
- 02.07 Knee Foundation Course: The Knee- all you need to know
- 04.06 Midland Problem Knee Club Meeting (contributed)
- 09.06 Knee Foundation Knee ACL Study Day, Droitwich Knee Clinic.
- 09.06 Knee Foundation Arthroscopic Knee Surgery Workshop, DKC.
- 11.06 Knee Foundation, Acute Knee Course, Droitwich Knee Clinic.
- 09.05 ACL study day for physios: lectures:
- 02.2009 Droitwich Knee Clinic 20th Anniversary Meeting : lecturing
- 03.2009 Knee Foundation Acute Knee Course held at Worcester Hospital Charles Hastings Post graduate Centre
- 05.2009 Knee Foundation Intermediate Arthroscopy Course: partial meniscectomies and chondroplasty Seminar Room Worcestershire Royal Hospital Education Centre
- 10.2009 Acute Knee Course Charles Hastings Post Graduate Centre at Worcestershire Royal Hospital
- Smith W, Moholkar K. “Forearm Non-unions” In the Upper Extremity Trauma, Life Sciences, Marcel and Dekker, New York 2003.
- Moholkar K, Ziran B. “ Posterior Acetabular fractures” In The Pelvic and Acetabular trauma , Marcel and Dekker , New York. To be published in November 2004.
- Moholkar K, Ziran B. “Local Complications” In Rockwood and Green`s Fractures in Adults, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, New Completed-To be published in December 2004.
- Moholkar K, Taylor D, Fenelon G. A safer technique to harvest Knee patellar bone block during Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. A Biomechanical study on porcine knees. JBJS 2002; 84A10: 1782-
- Moholkar K, Fenelon Normal volume of the foot and ankle .The Foot 2001;11-2: 63-65.
- Moholkar K, Corrigan J. Are lawnmower injuries preventable. The Foot 2001; 11-3: 158-
- Moholkar K, Fenelon Diurnal variations of foot and ankle volume. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2001; 40-5: 302-4.
- Moholkar K, Y Lodhi, G McCoy. Implant removal in the Orthopaedic Clinics. A patient satisfaction survey. Acta Orthop Belg. 2003 Dec; 69(6):507-
- Moholkar K, McCoy G. 30 ml Cement Test. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2004 Jul; 124(6):429.
- Moholkar K, Corrigan J. An assessment of the effectiveness of pre-operative dental visit – an audit of the elective orthopaedic assessment clinic in relation to dental infection and joint arthroplasty. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol 2004; 14- 2: 75 –
- Moholkar K, Corrigan J. Lawn-mower injuries in children. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol 2004; 14-2: 122-
- Mc Graw P, Bonvebto B, Moholkar K. Phalangeal intraosseous epidermoid cyst Acta Orthop. Belg., 2004; 70-3:1-
- Kumar R, Khan R, Moholkar K, Smyth H, Borton D. A rare combination fracture of the neck of femur. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol 2001; 11-3, 59-61
- Moholkar K, Smyth H. Acute compartment syndrome of the forearm in association with ulnar shortening osteotomy. J Hand Surg -A 2000; 25-2: 358-
- Moholkar K, Martin Simultaneous occurrence of Bado Type-I variant lesion, fracture-separation of the lower ulnar epiphysis and unicortical fracture of the Olecranon. March 2000. E Journal of Hand, 2000. Surgeryhttp://www.leeds.ac.uk/handsurgery/EJHS/ejcurr.htm
- Moholkar K, Krishnan J, Sampson B. Self-Surgery: Removal of Ankle Surgical Implants. Medscape Journal 2000.http://www.medscape.com/Medscape/GeneralMedicine/journal/2000 /v02.n05/mgm0901.moho/mgm0901.moho-01.html
- Moholkar K, Tamblyn P. Symptomatic Retrosternal Dislocation of the The Internet Journal of Orthopedic Surgery 2001 http://www.icaap.org/iuicode? 188.8.131.52
- Moholkar K, Baj M. Dysplasia Epiphysealis Hemimelica of lateral aspect of the distal ulnar epiphysis. The Internet Journal of Radiology 2001 http://www.icaap.org/iuicode? 184.108.40.206
- Moholkar K, Tamblyn P. Metallic wear debris and osteolysis presenting as tumor in cemented total hip arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 2001; 16-3: 404-
- Kumar R, Moholkar K, Fenelon G, et al. Management of compound fractures: The Crucial timing of soft tissue coverage by early plastic surgical intervention. Irish Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Trauma 2000; 5-2 http://www.iol.ie/~rcsiorth/journal/previous.htm
- Moholkar K, Mc Coy G. 2 0 Ethilon T Orthopaedics 2004.
- Moholkar K, O`Sullivan T. Acutrak fixation of comminuted distal radial fractures. Acta Orthop Belg. 2004.
- Moholkar K, R Mohan, P Gregoris. The uses of long gamma nail for stabilization of existing and impending pathological femur fractures- An analysis of 48 cases. Submitted to Acta Belgica 2004.
- Moholkar K, Fenelon G. A study to determine the accuracy and reliability of volumetric analysis of the foot and ankle. J. Med. Sc. Vol. 168-3, 213, 1999.
- Moholkar K, Fenelon Is filling the femoral entrance hole in Total knee arthroplasty worth an effort? JBJS-B 2000, Orthopaedic proceedings; 83:170.
- Moholkar K, Taylor D, Fenelon A new and safer technique to harvest patellar bone block during Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Irish Journal of Medical Sciences. Ir. J. Med. Sc. Vol. 169-3, 19, 2000.
- K Moholkar, J Day, T Meadows et al. Do Paediatric Orthopaedic Hospitals need a new Arthroscope. Retrospective chart review of adolescent knee injuries treated in Booth Hall Children’s Hospital between 1999 and 2003, Injury, 2004.
- Moholkar K, Fenelon G. Recurrences after Initial Dislocation of the Shoulder – A Retrospective study of 121 patients. EFORT, Brussels, June 3-6, 1999.
- Moholkar K, Fenelon G. Diurnal variation of foot and ankle volu A study on 20 ambulatory and bed bound normal subjects measured by a volumeter. EFORT, Brussels, June 3-6, 1999
- Moholkar K, Fenelon G. Recurrences after Initial Dislocation of the Shoulder – A Retrospective study of 121 patients. SECEC, 1999, Hague.
- A Sajjad, K Moholkar, G Mc Coy. Urinary Catheterisation and Joint Arthroplasty ISTA September 2001 Symposium Maui, Hawaii.
- Moholkar K, Fenelon G. Colles fracture – Should the Rheumatologist have an input? A poster presented at the Irish Soc. of Rheumatology conference held at the Mater Hospital, Dublin, October
ORAL PRESENTATIONS AT PEER REVIEWED MEETINGS
- K Moholkar, G Fenelon. A study to determine the accuracy and reliability of volumetric analysis of the Foot and Ankle. Presented at the 5th Annual conference of the Bioengineering Society and the Royal Academy of Medicine of Ireland, at the Tulfarri House, Blessington, Ireland on the 30th January 1999.
- K Moholkar, G A new and safer technique to harvest patellar bone block during Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Presented at the conference of the Bioengineering Society and the Royal Academy of Medicine of Ireland, at the Arklow Bay Hotel, Arklow, Ireland, and 6th January 2000.
- K Moholkar, J Day, T Meadows et al. Do Paediatric Orthopaedic Hospitals need a new Arthroscope. Presented to the British Trauma Society on 1-10-03 in London.
DISSERTATIONS PRESENTED TOWARDS ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS
- A biomechanical analysis of four different methods of harvesting bone -patellar tendon- bone graft in porcine knees. JBJS 2002, 84A-10, 1782- A porcine study to examine the incidence & patterns of fracture after different shapes of patellar bone plugs. A requirement for MCh-Trinity College, Dublin. This project was planned in two stages
- a) Studying the properties of porcine cancellous and cortical bone in relation to stress risers.
- b) Impact testing the porcine knees after harvesting the bone patella bone graft and loading knee extensor mechanism after harvesting various sizes and shapes of patellar bone grafts – patellar tendon and tibial bone graft. The conclusion drawn at the end of this project was that round cornered patellar bone plugs are better and safe than the traditional sharp cornered ones.
- Diagnostic value of Arthroscopy in the internal derangement’s of the knee-A study of 63
- Thesis submitted to University of Bombay in Oct 1993 as a requirement for MS Orthopaedics
- Surgical treatment of habitual dislocation of patella- a study of 36 patients. Thesis as a requirement for Fellowship in Orthopedics. Submitted to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Bombay. As a requirement for FCPS Orthopaedics
AUDIT PROJECTS AND LOOP COMPLETED
- K Moholkar, J Day, T Meadows et al. A Questionnaire based audit to assess the parental understanding of Botox injection therapy in children with cerebral palsy after verbal explanation. Questionnaires sent out in April 2003
- Moholkar K, Y Lodhi, G McCoy. Treating finger tip injuries-Are patients happier if treated in the theatre or the emergency room.
- Moholkar K, Corrigan J. An assessment of the effectiveness of a pre- operative dental visit- an audit of the elective orthopaedic assessment clinic in relation to dental infection and joint arthroplasty. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol 2004
- Computer Programming